Monday, August 20, 2012

Look who's back!

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years. 

Wow! What a week. Last week, I got a call from the lawyer with the news of my case. The lieutenant in charge of Internal Affairs had sent a final offer, as was decided by the new Chief.

Now, I'm not going to go into details, but basically, I get to keep my job. I had to meet with the IA Lt in the afternoon later that day. He presented the same deal that my lawyer was able to work out, and we spoke about what I did, and how he and the Chief felt that my career was worth salvaging. I have to give them credit and respect. The way they spoke to me was respectful, and put it in a way that I could take ownership of the situation. I was able to see this as an opportunity to move on and improve, not an ass chewing that leaves you feeling like a scalded dog.  

And like that, the next morning, I was reinstated!

I spent the next day driving around the county collecting my weapon and certification card from the academy, my badge and ID card from the quartermaster, my radio from the radio room, my car, computer, and ticket printer from the district. 

I ended up in the same district, but a different Platoon I was on. I also did not get "my" car back, but at least I got a decent car. 

My first day back was yesterday. I really had a sense of pride as I got dressed in my uniform and went off to work. You really don't appreciate what you have until it is stripped from you. The last 10 weeks while I was suspended, I was on a roller coaster of emotions. Now, I get my powers back, and for the first time in a long time, I understand the level of responsibility and sense of duty I have. Before, it was a job.  Just a J O B. I forgot why we do the work. I lost sense of the importance of our line of work. 

Well, it took quite a knock in the pants to get Shamus to re-evaluate what he was doing wrong. One of the most important lessons is to not cut corners to try to clear calls out quickly, and to do the job right the first time. 

Cutting corners almost cost me my career, my pension, and most importantly, my dignity and calling. 

DO the job, folks. Do it RIGHT. It may get pulled out from under you if you don't. Or worse, it could get someone hurt. 

So, keep them belts on, we are going to finish this ride together. Still picking those pieces up, and I'm trying to move on. Why not join me? We'll try and have a good time at it. Don't forget to check the story tab up top. That's where the tall tales, and yarns are hiding. With every new post, I'm going to try to add a new story. 

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment